Light Intelligent Lenses™
Transitions Light Intelligent Lenses™ are photochromic lenses that seamlessly adapt to changing light situations. Responding to the light around you, the lenses intelligently change from clear to dark according to the light intensity e.g. darken, transitioning into sunglasses when outdoors and return to clear when indoors.
How Transitions® lenses work
All Transitions lenses block 100% of UVA and UVB rays and help filter blue-violet light¹, including digital devices, screens, and especially bright sun. By optimising the amount of light your eyes receive, Transitions lenses also help reduce glare, for more effortless sight.
Transitions® lenses for your needs
There’s 3 types of photochromic lenses available, choose the best that suit your needs.
Book an eye test
Styling tips for glasses
Choose from a wide range of lens colours and express your personal style with Transitions lenses tailored to your eyecare needs.
Transitions® frequently asked questions
Transitions is a registered trademark, the Transitions logo, Transitions Light Intelligent Technology and Transitions Light Intelligent Lenses are trademarks of Transitions Optical, Inc. used under license by Transitions Optical Limited. Light Under Control is a trademark of Transitions Optical Limited. Photochromic performance is influenced by temperature, UV exposure and lens material.
1. All Transitions lenses block 100% UV rays in line with ISO clear lens standards in all indexes. Transitions® Signature® GEN 8™ filters up to 26% of blue-violet light indoors and up to 86% of blue-violet light outdoors. Blue-violet light is between 400 and 455nm (ISO TR 20772:2018)
Test carried out on grey CR39 and polycarbonate lenses with a premium anti-reflective coating.
2. Based on measurements performed by an external laboratory in the USA between 2015 and 2019 of photochromic performance attributes. The attributes were also weighted by their relative importance to consumers based on 1,037 responses to a research survey conducted by SSI (Survey Sampling International) of US.
3. Based on activation to 18% transmission @23°C across materials on grey lenses.
4. Transitions Signature GEN 8 lenses fade back to clear up to 3 minutes faster than Transitions Signature lenses. CR607 products fade back to clear 2 minutes faster. Claim is based on tests across materials on grey lenses, being the most popular colour, fading back to 70% transmission @ 23°C.
5. Transitions® XTRActive™ New Generation are the darkest in hot temperatures, in the car and offering the best overall blue violet light filtration across light situations* among clear to extra dark photochromic lenses.*Filtering blue-violet light (between 400 and 455nm ISO TR 20772:2018) among polycarbonate and CR39 grey lenses with a premium anti-reflective coating.: filtering (i) up to 45% indoors at 23°C, (ii) up to 64% behind the windshield (iii) up to 86% outdoors at 23°C and (iv) up to 83% outdoors at 35°C. Test carried out on grey CR39 and polycarbonate lenses with a premium anti-reflective coating.
6. Clear to extra dark photochromic category. Polycarbonate and 1.5 gray lenses tested at 23°C behind the windscreen achieving between 18%T and 43%T.
7. Transitions Optical, Quality of Vision and Vision Experience Test In Real Life situations (Life Wearer Testing), France, Eurosyn, Q3 2020, N=148 – Top4Boxes. Based on wearers who preferred Transitions XTRActive new generation lenses (32% of total wearers). Caution: small base size (n=46 wearers who preferred Transitions XTRActive new generation lenses).
8. Transitions® XTRActive™ Polarized. Source: EcoOptics Limited - Prof. Nicholas Roberts, Quantitative study evaluating the visual benefits of the polarization properties of lenses compared to similar non-polarized lenses, 2019/2020.
9. Based on tests across materials on grey lenses @ 23°C, using ISO 12312-1 standard.
10. Based on tests across materials on grey lenses, achieving transmission below 45% @ 23°C behind a standard windshield. The lens achieves a polarization efficiency of 30% behind the windshield, which is not classified as being “polarized”.
11. Filters up to 45% of blue-violet light indoors. Test carried out on grey CR39 and polycarbonate lenses with a premium anti-reflective coating. Blue-violet light is between 400 and 455nm (ISO TR 20772:2018) “Standard clear lens” refers to typical clear 1.5 and polycarbonate hard-coated lenses without blue light reducing properties.